The ATHENA® Leadership Program Award and Young Professional Leadership (YPL) ATHENA® Award recognize exceptional women who excel in their careers, contribute to their communities, and develop future leaders. These annual awards are presented by chambers of commerce, women’s organizations, and universities worldwide. Almost 8,000 leaders — including a Supreme Court Justice, Olympic medalist, Secretary of State, NASA astronaut, social justice advocate, and CEOs of major corporations — have been recognized with the ATHENA® Leadership award in more than 500 regions representing 48 states and 11 countries.
ATHENA® and YPL ATHENA® Award recipients demonstrate eight remarkable characteristics: living authentically; learning constantly; advocating fiercely; acting courageously; fostering collaboration; building relationships; giving back; and celebrating.
Nominations for the 2022 ATHENA® Award (40 years and older) and YPL ATHENA® Award (under 40 years of age) are open until Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021. Submissions will be reviewed in late 2021 and all nominators will be notified in early January 2022. Recipients will be recognized live at the Dallas Regional Chamber’s 2022 Women’s Business Conference on Tuesday, March 8, 2022.
Past recipients of the Dallas awards include:
- 2020 – Debbie Dennis, Chief Customer Officer and SVP Human Resources & Corporate Affairs, Oncor (ATHENA®); Ana I. Rodriguez, Managing Director of the Latino Leadership Initiative, SMU Cox School of Business (YPL ATHENA®)
- 2018 – Roslyn Dawson Thompson, President and CEO, Texas Women’s Foundation (ATHENA®); Amber Venz-Box, President and Co-Founder, rewardStyle (YPL ATHENA®)
- 2017 – Cynthia Marshall, Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Chief Diversity Officer, AT&T Inc. (ATHENA®); Lacy Durham, Tax Manager, Deloitte Tax, LLP (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2015 – Maribess Miller, Texas State Board of Public Accountancy (ATHENA®); Lauren Mutti, Jackson Walker LLP (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2014 – Kathleen LaValle, Dallas CASA (ATHENA®); Suzanne Smith, Social Impact Architects and Flywheel (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2013 – Hattie Hill, Women’s Foodservice Forum (ATHENA®); Sara Duran, Sidley Austin LLP (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2012 – Judge Barbara Lynn, United States District Judge for the Northern District of Texas (ATHENA®); Amanda L. Bush, Jackson Walker LLP (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2011 – Anne Motsenbocker, Chase (ATHENA®); Jasmin Brand, Brandpointe (ATHENA® YPL)
- 2010 – Carol Roehrig, bkm Total Office of Texas
- 2009 – Catherine Rodewald, Prudential Asset Resources and Prudential Mortgage Capital Company
- 2008 – Suzanne Charriere, Corgan Associates
- 2007 – Wanda Brice, The Women’s Museum
- 2006 – Wendy Lopez, LOPEZGARCIA GROUP
- 2005 – Becky Sykes, Dallas Women’s Foundation
- 2004 – Camille Keith, Southwest Airlines
- 2003 – Retta Miller, Jackson Walker LLP
- 2002 – Valerie Freeman, Imprimis Group
- 2001 – Liz Minyard, Minyard Food Stores
- 2000 – Grace McDermott, U.S. Pan Asian American Chamber of Commerce
- 1999 – Brenda Jackson, TXU Electric Delivery
- 1998 – Gale Duff-Bloom, JCPenney Company, Inc.
- 1997 – Norma Lea Beasley, SAFECO Texas
- 1996 – Jinger Heath, BeautiControl Cosmetics
- 1995 – Tegwin Pulley, Texas Instruments