This past Tuesday’s tragic killing of eight people in the Atlanta area, including six Asian-American women, has prompted a national outcry against growing anti-Asian American/Pacific Islander violence. While the motives of the attack are unclear, many people in the Asian community are hurting and are fearful of being targeted for violence or discrimination. Since March 2020, Stop AAPI Hate reported nearly 3,800 instances of discrimination against Asians, with women reporting 230 percent more hate incidents than men.
The Dallas Regional Chamber remains committed to building a more inclusive community and we believe that we cannot achieve our full potential until racism is eliminated. We stand with the Asian-American/Pacific Islander community and remain committed to using our voice and resources in opposing any form of hate, violence, or discrimination based on race, gender, or other differences and pledge to continue our work to help make it stop.
We understand that many companies are looking for resources and guidance to promote inclusion during this time. Here are some immediate actions you can take to support your Asian-American/Pacific Islander employees and our Asian-American/Pacific Islander neighbors:
- Check on your Asian-American/Pacific Islander employees to understand how they are doing, especially if they are working from home, and see if they need any support.
- If you have an Asian-American/Pacific Islander Employee Resource Group (ERG), work with them to actively monitor the wellbeing of their membership and create an empathetic “safe space” to listen to concerns.
- Consider encouraging your Employee Resource Groups (Asian, Black, Latinx, etc.) to rally together in support of safety for all groups, and to mutually assist each other.
- Join the Ascend Action Agenda with 110+ organizations in solidarity against Asian-American/Pacific Islander hate.
- Publicly voice your support. You can use the CEO pledge template jointly released by the U.S. Black Chambers, Inc., U.S. Hispanic Chamber, and the Asian American Business Development Center.
- View these Anti-Asian Violence and Anti-Asian Racism resources for additional opportunities to take action.
- The Truth, Racial Healing & Transformation communities are holding a live town hall event on Tuesday, March 23, beginning at 7:00 pm. To join the conversation, see Dallas TRHT Events | Racial Equity & Healing | Free Workshops & Panels.