About Leadership Dallas
Founded in 1975, Leadership Dallas is the DRC’s flagship leadership development program, aimed at providing our city with an ongoing source of diverse leaders who are prepared and committed to serve as catalysts and sustainers of positive change for the quality of life in the greater Dallas area.
It is the goal of Leadership Dallas to:
- Identify and motivate potential community leaders of diverse backgrounds.
- Provide an outstanding educational experience, emphasizing critical social and community issues.
- Open a dialogue among emerging and current community leaders.
- Challenge participants to apply their talents throughout the community.
Each year, up to 55 individuals are selected to participate in a ten-month educational program that includes a two-day retreat, nine monthly day-long sessions, monthly preliminary assignments, and a class project. Participants receive in-depth exposure to the critical issues facing the community through lectures, discussion groups, on-site visits, simulations, and other leadership development activities. Issues to be addressed during the year include human services, government and politics, economic development, health care, criminal justice, education, and arts and culture. The location and format of each session is different. The program enables participants to develop their leadership capacities, build strong relationships, and prepare themselves for the challenges of the years to come.
Program participants will grow in awareness and understanding of the challenges and issues facing our community. They will also develop valuable contacts and communication networks within the community. Most importantly, Leadership Dallas builds confidence and motivation to become actively involved in promoting positive change for the Dallas region. Employers and sponsoring organizations will see increased leadership and problem solving skills in their employee. Leadership Dallas allows doors to be opened for greater corporate/organizational community involvement and visibility, and helps identify where strategic alliances might be formed. It will create additional opportunities to influence positive change and impact quality of life in the community. The community will experience immediate benefit from increased involvement on the part of the participants, and will reap future benefits from the collective commitment to effective leadership by the graduates of Leadership Dallas.
When participants are selected each year, it is with an eye toward diversity to encourage a collaboration of ideas and viewpoints. The program is not a starting point, but rather a professional development opportunity for men and women who are both acknowledged and aspiring leaders. All participants should demonstrate:
- A passion for the people and future of our region, and a personal commitment to help improve the quality of life in the Dallas region.
- A demonstrated commitment to the community through past and current activities.
- A demonstrated capacity for leadership within their own organizations through significant achievements.
- An interest in enhancing their leadership capabilities to meet the demands of the 21st century.
- A willingness to commit the time and energy necessary to complete the program requirements, which requires the full support of their organizations.
- A commitment to supporting the continuation of leadership and trustee development in our region.
Graduation from the class does not signify an end, but represents the beginning of a lifetime of opportunity as a member of the Leadership Dallas alumni network. An active alumni organization provides a continuing forum for graduates and a mechanism for maintaining contacts. It is expected that alumni, as trustees of our community, will go forth and participate in constructive community change. They are also encouraged to serve on committees, boards, and organizations throughout the region. Alumni have the responsibility to ensure the perpetuation of leadership in the region; therefore, it is expected that they will support the work of Leadership Dallas. Critical to the organization’s continued success is the support from past participants in program guidance, financial contributions, and marketing the program to future participants. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.